I just heard from one of my clients – overnight she’s made a huge change to her life:
“I’ve made a brave decision yesterday and resigned from my job. Financially, we’ll have to cut back on a lot of things (nice-to-have’s basically) but should be able to manage…somehow. I’ll be a SAHM from the end of this month and I’m sooo looking forward to it. I’m a bit apprehensive, of course, as we’ll all have to get into a new routine (literally), but I have no doubt that it will be the best for me and my family for our immediate future. Needless to say that our kids are growing up far too fast…”
Yay go for it! This mum has made a huge shift in her work and family balance. I am absolutely delighted for her.
The Confident Mother is all about celebrating and loving life as a woman and as a mother. Everything I do is to help women create that feeling of confidence, not just as a woman but as a mother too. For me, there are five essential elements to balance: work, wellness, contribution, family, and the feminine.
The right balance is unique to each woman and changes at different stages in her life. However when she has these five elements in balance, she will love her life. And you will too. You will have more confidence, energy, clarity, focus, fun with your family and you will feel fulfilled. Let me explain a bit more about the elements as I see them.
- Contribution – the contribution that you make to the world, where you are adding value and being valued; what is unique about you. Your contribution might be through volunteering. It might be how you contribute in your local community.
- Wellness – it’s hard to be confident if you’re not confident in your own mind and your own body; when you don’t have the strength, wellness and health to go out and do what you want to do in the world.
- Work – whether you have your own business, whether you have a career, or whether you are a stay at home mum. It’s about being valued (and paid) for the work that you do.
- Family – obviously one is about family, your relationship with your children, with your partner, and with your own parents.
- The feminine – The Confident Mother is about being a woman, and not just being a mother. It’s about accepting, embracing and actually enjoying being a woman, and the challenges and opportunities that brings.
All these elements are covered in The Confident Mother book published on Thursday 17 September. They are not signposted in this way in the book, after all it’s not a text book. Perhaps the one element that I have not written about specifically is contribution. Though it is very much part of the book and the conference as I see these as my contribution to the world. Plus a percentage of the book profits will be donated to set up a local breastfeeding support group.
What about you? What changes do you need to live the life you love? To get your five elements in balance?