Many of the mums I talk to just don’t believe that it is possible to find work that fits around your children AND that you enjoy. You’ll remember that I shared some of my favourite success stories last week, including Ashley. In her initial testimonial, she said: “Sherry far exceeded my expectations … and has enabled me to discover what it is to feel powerful. It’s no exaggeration to say that the experience of working with her has been life-changing.”
When she read last week’s post, she was prompted to send me an update. Oh wow, I got goosebumps reading it. Ashley’s story proves that you CAN have a life you love with work that fits around family.
Don’t just take my word for it … let Ashley tell her story.
“I’m really happy for you to use my story – you opened my mind to so many things, it’s the least I can do in return …
My event planning position came to an end in the summer. I was still able to use the experience. I applied for a position, went for interview, got the job and started work in September in a fantastic secondary school, the best in the area. Literally I have never been so happy in a job!
- It fits beautifully around my family life, which I came to realise was a dealbreaker and a core value. If you remember it was one of the reasons I got in touch with you. I was so convinced I would never find a job that worked with the kids. I have to pinch myself some days that it isn’t a dream! I worked hard preparing for the interview and made sure I matched their criteria and some, to give myself the best chance of being shortlisted and interviewed.
- It fits my vision (the one you asked me to share with you). It’s come to life. There I was before half-term, in the office, cup of tea in hand, with like-minded, bright people engaging in conversation and assisting them, offering help and solutions. I felt so happy.
- The work environment is buzzing, full of hardworking teachers and support staff doing their bit to help the next generation. I’m thriving in the feel of the place.
- I’m still planning and organising, just in a different setting. From trips to Europe, to filing personnel records – the work is fast paced, never the same each day and has a project feel [one of Ashley’s original criteria]. This is exactly what makes me tick. I feel fresh!
- Because of the coaching, I am addressing issues that I had in previous jobs and using that knowledge to further myself. I have a sense of progression that I didn’t have at the BBC. This role is in an organisation which has a clear and defined future; I can see where I want to head to be a part of it. Exciting! (Never had that before!)
There’s undoubtedly more, but I am a confident mother, a contented mother, with a job that fits me and with happy kids. It wasn’t much to ask right?!!!
Thank you Sherry – all your strategies have helped so much to get me where I am.”
I’m sharing this story because often when I talk to mums, they don’t believe they can have the life that Ashley has created for herself. Ashley’s smart, and I know you’re smart too. She could have done this on her own. After all, it’s not rocket science. But sometimes having someone help is what makes the difference for you, and gets you there faster than left to your own devices. When Ashley got clear on her vision and what was important to her, she had the confidence to take the actions that mattered.
Let me help you make those life-changing decisions. Let’s have a conversation. Especially if you’re frustrated because you had meant to do something in 2015.
I know exactly what it’s like being a mum with kids at school or pre-school at this time of year. December gets hectic and chaotic. However the first step to making a change is to Just Get Started. That is why I’m encouraging you to get started before the end of the month. Even if that is a simple conversation with me.
Let’s talk. If you want something different; if you want work that fits around your children, but you also know you could do with some help, get in touch and let’s talk.