Start a family memory jar today and by the end of 2018, you’ll have a fabulous store of memories to remind you of the year you’ve had.
We do this every year in my house, but truth be told, it’s me and my youngest that enjoy this the most.
How to create a Family Memory Jar
Find yourself a big jar and a pad of notes. Those block memo pads, the size of a post-it note are ideal.
- Every day (or once a week or whenever it takes your fancy), write down a memory on one of the notes. It could be something you’ve enjoyed, or that was new or different. As a family you can do individual notes or one joint note. Whatever feels right for you. And although I say “…. whenever it takes your fancy“, quite honestly this works best when you do it on a fixed day or fixed time of the day. Otherwise it just falls into the black hole of “something else for Mum to do”.
- Write the date on the note.
- Fold up the note and put it in the jar.
- You can include tickets or small mementos too.
- On New Year’s Eve next year (or New Year’s Day), open the jar, pour out the notes, and enjoy reading through them and reliving your memories of the year.
We’ve always recycled a large gherkin jar (there’s usually one available in our house after Christmas) though now you can buy special Family Memory Jars in the shops.
You might want to decorate your Family Memory Jar too with stickers or glass paint or a family photo stuck on the inside.
I’d love to hear from you if you already do this or if you’re going to give it a go this year. Post a comment below.