Confident Conversations is a weekly podcast show for ambitious women about confidently balancing work and life, hosted by me, Sherry Bevan, Author, Coach & Speaker. A former Global Head of IT Service for a City law firm, I now work as a women’s leadership coach helping ambitious women get clear on what they really want then find the confidence to do it.
In the UK, nearly half of those joining accountancy are women, compared with less than 5% in the 1970s. However at accountancy firms, women make up 23% of all partners, according to Catalyst, although 49% of all accounting employees. As you might expect, there is a “falling off” among women aged between 30 and 40 (although that is only partly explained by motherhood according to Rhonda Martin, head of ICAEW’s Women in Leadership team).
Award-winning Archna Tharani took a different route back into accountancy after a career break and now runs her own practice. Archna also runs a 9 month training and mentoring programme for accountants who want to set up their own practice, Your Own Practice.
Archna has partnered with Lucy Whittington to bring the Your Own Practice programme to market and it’s launching in September 2017. They are running discovery sessions to find out more on 4 and 8 July in London, and you can find all the details on the link below. Please do get in touch with Archna if you are interested.
In this episode, Archna shares:
- the challenges she faced when returned to work
- what gave her the confidence
- how she combats the loneliness of running your own business
- the benefits of technology to provide a flexible career for women in accountancy
- how accountancy is changing from ‘just’ number-crunching
Archna’s top tips to other women going back into the workforce after a career break:
- build the right support around you
- identify the skills you need to develop to continue your career, both technical and leadership
- reach out to people and network
Mentioned on the show and other useful links
- Networking with confidence, episode 017 with Heather White
- Connect with Archna by email or on LinkedIn
- Oculus Accountancy website
- Your Own Practice founded by Archna Tharani and Lucy Whittington
- Get in touch if you are interested in the discovery days
GUEST: Archna Tharani, Oculus Accountancy
HOST: Sherry Bevan, Founder of The Confident Mother
Ask your questions or share your feedback
- Comment on the show notes
- Tweet me @SherryRB using #ConfidentConversations
- Get in touch with me directly here
- Subscribe, rate and review in iTunes <<here>>