Eight weeks left until the end of the year … have you achieved your goals for 2015?
When I work with clients, often they’re unclear about what they want. It’s hard to have the confidence to take the next steps if you don’t know exactly where you want to go.
Get clarity on your vision, and you WILL have the confidence you need to take the right actions. Unless you take action, a vision is but a dream. Sometimes it’s hard to get clear on your vision and what you want. I’m going to share three questions that you can ask yourself to find the clarity you need to feel confident.
Before you start, get a piece of plain paper and a pen. Next put on some loud dance music and dance away for 5 minutes, then sit down and ask yourself:
- What do I want?
- What do I really want?
- What’s the absolute bottom line?
If what you come up with seems impossible, too big, too overwhelming, it helps to break it down into smaller steps. Try the Sticky Note Brainstorm tool that I use with clients:
- Find a clear space on the wall or a large expanse of desk.
- Get a pack of post-it notes.
- On 3 separate post-it notes, write the start date (could be today), the goal (i.e. what you want to achieve), and the completion date (i.e. when you want to achieve – don’t worry for now if the date seems unrealistic).
- Put the start date on the far left of the space, and the goal and completion date on the far right.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes and brainstorm – braindump – all the different actions you could take. Write each one on a separate post-it and put on the wall. Don’t edit or judge the options – just write them down.
- Final stage, set the timer again for 15 minutes and prioritise the different actions or steps and move them around.
- You have the beginnings of an effective action plan.
It all begins with the vision. When you have clarity on what you want, you will find the confidence to take action.
If you know what it is you want to achieve by the end of the year and then break it down into smaller more achievable steps, you will have the confidence you need to take action.
Was going back to work part of your plan for this year? If so, and you haven’t done it yet, you’ll love my 15 Days Back to Work Essentials challenge – tick off those ‘must-do’ essentials. Every day for 15 days, an email with the next task, each one designed to take 15 minutes or less. Sign up here.